Caramelized Fennel Paccheri with Sausage & Pistachios
A springtime dish to whip up on a weeknight, try this delicious Caramelized Fennel Paccheri with Sausage & Pistachios! Featuring paccheri pasta tossed in The Pan with a white wine butter sauce with Italian sausage, onions & fennel, lots of garlic, wilted spinach, cheese, and buttery pistachios over the top!
Total Time: 27 minutes: 5 minutes to prepare & 22 minutes to cook.
What you’ll need to make the Caramelized Fennel Paccheri with Sausage & Pistachios:
- 3 tbsp. butter
- 1/2 cup chopped roasted - salted pistachios
- Olive oil - as needed
- 1/2 lb raw, mild italian sausage
- 3/4 lb paccheri • Kosher salt
- 1 small red onion - thinly sliced
- 1 large fennel bulb - cored & thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic - minced
- 1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper
- 1 cup white wine
- 1/4 lb fresh spinach
- 3/4 cup grated pecorino cheese
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves - roughly torn
- 1 tbsp. parsley - chopped
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil
- Heat The Pan over medium heat. Add 1 tablespoon of the butter and let it melt. Add the chopped pistachios. Toast for a minute or so until fragrant. Turn off the heat and set aside.
- Heat The Pan over medium heat. Add enough olive oil to coat the bottom. When the oil is hot, add the sausage. Use The Spoon to break it into smaller pieces as it begins to brown. Cook for 5-6 minutes until browned and cooked through, stirring often.
- Transfer the sausage to a plate. Add the red onion, fennel, and a pinch of salt to the pot. Cook for 10 minutes or so until caramelized and tender. Meanwhile, drop the paccheri in the water and cook for 2 minutes less than the package’s instructions, stirring often.
- Stir the garlic and crushed red pepper into the vegetables. Cook for another 30 seconds. Pour in the white wine. Retrieve a 1/2 cup of starchy pasta water from the pasta pot and add it in with the wine. Let the liquid come to a boil, reduce the heat, and simmer for 3-4 minutes until slightly thickened. When the pasta is done cooking, drain it and add it to the pot. Stir well to coat and continue to cook for a minute or so.
- Stir in the spinach, sausage, and remaining 2 tablespoons of butter. Let heat through. Gradually stir in the pecorino cheese until it melts into the sauce. Lastly, fold in the basil and parsley.
- Taste the pasta and season with more salt if needed. Pour the pasta and all of the sauce into a large serving bowl. Garnish with the pistachios, more pecorino cheese, and any extra fresh herbs.