Creamy Lemon Chicken Orzo with Spring Vegetables
Spring is just around the corner, the perfect time of year to try new light recipes with fresh spring vegetables. This Lemon Chicken Orzo with Vegetables is lusciously creamy, singing with bright lemon flavor. This recipe is astonishingly quick and easy and can be made in 30 minutes with The Pan!
Total Time: 30 minutes: 5-10 minutes to prepare & 20 minutes to cook.
What you’ll need to make the Creamy Lemon Chicken Orzo with Spring Vegetables:
- 1 1/2 lbs. chicken cutlets
- Kosher salt - as needed
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 5 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 2 large shallots - thinly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves - minced
- 1 cup orzo
- 1 cup white wine
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 3/4 lb. asparagus - thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup sugar snap peas
- 3 tsp. lemon zest
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 tbsp. grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves - torn
- 2 tbsp. chives - minced
- Season the chicken cutlets with a pinch of salt on all sides. Pour the flour into a shallow mixing bowl. Add the chicken to the flour and toss well to coat.
- Heat The Pan over medium heat. Add 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. Work in batches to sear the chicken, about 4 minutes per side. Transfer the chicken to a plate.
- Add the butter to The Pan and let melt. Add the shallots and garlic and cook for a minute until fragrant. Stir in the orzo. Add the white wine and bring to a simmer. Cook for 2 minutes. Add the chicken stock. Bring to a simmer again and cook for 8 minutes, or until the orzo is al dente.
- Stir in 1 teaspoon of the lemon zest and season with salt to taste. Next, stir in the heavy cream, remaining 2 teaspoons of lemon zest, and lemon juice into the orzo. Bring to a simmer. Add the parmesan cheese and let melt.
- Heat The Pan over medium heat. Add a tablespoon of the olive oil. Once hot, add the asparagus. Sauté for 4-5 minutes until caramelized and tender. Transfer the asparagus to a plate.
- Add another tablespoon of the olive oil. Add the sugar snap peas. Sauté for 2-3 minutes. Transfer vegetables to a plate.
- Add the chicken back to the skillet. Simmer for another 3-4 minutes until heated through. Lastly, stir in the basil and chives.
- Top the chicken and orzo with freshly cracked black pepper and a sprinkling of parmesan cheese. Add all of the vegetables back to The Pan, your dish is ready to be served!