Lemon Garlic Chicken
This recipe basically makes itself, leaving you time to pull together an easy side. Since there’s lots of sauce that deserves to be soaked up, we love serving the chicken over rice, orzo, or mashed potatoes, or with a side of crusty bread. A simple leafy greens salad or steamed green beans are also nice additions to round out the meal. The only tools you'll need for the job are The Pan, measuring cups/spoons, and something to stir with that won't scratch the nonstick layer of the pan.
Total Time: 25 minutes. 5 minutes to prepare, 20 minutes to cook.
What you’ll need to make the dish:
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 2 pounds total), pounded to 1/2-inch thickness
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more for seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more for seasoning
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 small shallot, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup half-and-half or whole milk
- 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- Juice 1 medium lemon (about 3 tablespoons)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 1 small lemon, thinly sliced
How to prepare the dish:
Thoroughly dry the chicken with paper towels. Generously season all over with salt and pepper.
Heat the oil in a 10-inch or larger skillet over medium-high until shimmering. Working in batches if needed, add the chicken and sear until deeply browned on the bottom, 6 to 7 minutes. Flip with tongs and sear the other side until browned, 6 to 7 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a plate; set aside.
Reduce the heat to medium and add the butter. When melted, add the shallot, garlic, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until just starting to soften, about 1 minute. Add the flour, stir to evenly coat the shallots and garlic, and cook for 1 minute more.
- Stir in the half-and-half or milk and broth until no lumps from the flour remain, making sure to scrape up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer. Return the chicken to the pan and simmer until the sauce is thickened enough that it coats the back of a spoon and the chicken is cooked for 3 to 4 minutes. Stir the lemon juice into the sauce. Garnish with the parsley and lemon slices and serve immediately.
Check out last Week's Recipe of the Week: Creamy Garlic Paprika Shrimp Skillet