Beer Cheese Soup
This creamy Beer Cheese Soup is the ideal meal to make in The Pan with The Spoon. Cayenne provides a bit of heat and a mild beer adds the perfect amount of flavor without overpowering the dish. The sharp cheddar cheese adds a rich, savory flavor. Serve with your preferred toppings and a piece of crusty bread!
Total Time: 40 minutes
What you’ll need to make the Beer Cheese Soup:
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- 2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup finely chopped yellow bell pepper
- 1 tbsp. finely chopped serrano peppers (2 small)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 (12-ounce) bottle ale or lager beer
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 12 ounces sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded (about 3 1/2 cups)
- 1/2 tsp. ground pepper
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
- Crumbled crispy bacon, chopped scallions and/or finely chopped fresh chives (optional)
How to prepare the dish:
Heat oil in The Pan oven over medium heat. Add onion, bell pepper and serranos; cook, stirring occasionally with The Spoon, until the vegetables are tender and slightly browned, 8 to 10 minutes.
Add flour; cook, stirring often, until the vegetables are coated, about 1 minute. Slowly stir in beer; cook, stirring constantly and scraping the bottom of The Pan with a wooden spoon in figure-8 motions, until thickened, about 1 minute.
Add broth, half-and-half and mustard, stirring until combined. Bring the mixture to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low; simmer, stirring occasionally, until thickened, 4 to 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Whisk in cheese, pepper, salt and cayenne until melted and combined, about 1 minute. Working in batches, pour the mixture into a blender. Secure the lid on the blender and remove the center piece to allow steam to escape. Place a clean towel over the opening. Process until pureed to desired consistency, 1 to 2 minutes. (Use caution when blending hot liquids.) Ladle the soup into 6 bowls. Top with bacon, scallions and/or chives, if desired.