White Bean Gnocchi
This recipe basically makes itself, leaving you time to pull together an easy side. Since there’s lots of sauce that deserves to be soaked up, we love serving the chicken over rice, orzo, or mashed potatoes, or with a side of crusty bread. A simple leafy greens salad or steamed green beans are also nice additions to round out the meal. The only tools you'll need for the job are The Pan, measuring cups/spoons, and something to stir with that won't scratch the nonstick layer of the pan.
Total Time: 40 minutes. 20 minutes to prepare, 20 minutes to cook.
What you’ll need to make the dish:
- 1 tablespoon (13g) olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely diced (1 cup; 130g)
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 package (13 oz.; 368g) Smoked Turkey Sausage, coined
- 1/4 cup (65g) Swanson's chicken stock (or broth; water works too)
- 1 can (14.5 oz. 411g) fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano, dried parsley flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, paprika
- Fine sea salt and pepper
- 1 can (15.5 oz; 439g) white kidney or cannellini beans, drained & rinsed
- 1 package (16 oz.; 453g) gnocchi (shelf-stable)
- 1 and 1/2 cups (37g) fresh baby spinach, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup (50g) freshly grated mozzarella cheese (plus more for serving)
- 1/4 cup (17g) freshly grated Parmesan cheese (plus more for serving)
- Optional: fresh flat-leaf Italian parsley, finely chopped
How to prepare the dish:
Move a rack in your oven to the upper third of the oven and then preheat to 425 degrees F (218 degrees C). Prep ingredients before starting -- cooking goes quickly. Dice the onion, mince garlic, cut the sausage into coins (~1/2 inch thick), drain and rinse white beans, coarsely chop spinach, and grate cheeses.
Place a large oven-safe skillet (I use a deep 12-inch cast iron skillet) on the stove over medium-high heat. Pour in the olive oil and when hot, add the diced onion. Sauté, stirring frequently with a wooden spoon until the onion is transparent and becomes golden, about 5-7 minutes. Add in the garlic and stir for another 30 seconds. Add the coined turkey sausage to the skillet. Cook until lightly browned, about 3-4 minutes.
Add in the stock/broth or water, undrained diced tomatoes, oregano, parsley, garlic powder, paprika, thoroughly rinsed, drained, and dried off white beans, uncooked gnocchi (break apart any that are sticking together), and spinach. Season to taste with salt and pepper. (I add 3/4 teaspoon fine sea salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.) Stir until everything is well combined. Top with grated mozzarella and Parmesan.
Bake for 17-23 minutes. If desired, broil for 1-2 minutes for a delicious crispy top (watch closely -- it can go from perfect to burnt in a matter of seconds!)
Remove from the heat, and let it slightly cool before tasting for any additional seasonings. Top with fresh parsley and enjoy hot! If desired, top individual bowls with more cheese
Check out Last Week's Recipe of the Week: One Skillet Greek Chicken and Orzo with Tomatoes, Feta, and Tzatziki