This creamy Chili Mac recipe has thick and flavourful homemade chili combined with classic, creamy macaroni and cheese. This is one meal mashup that your family will want on repeat. All you need for this dish is The Pan and The Spoon to stir.
Total Time: 60 minutes. 15 minutes to prepare, 45 minutes to cook.
What you’ll need to make Chili Mac:
- 1 lbs ground beef, 80% lean
- 1 small onion, diced
- ½ cup bell pepper, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, diced
- 1.25 oz. packet chili seasoning mix
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 8 oz. tomato sauce
- 14.4 oz. can diced tomatoes, undrained
- ½ cup chicken or beef broth
- 1 15 oz. can of kidney beans, drained
- 2 cups macaroni, uncooked
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 cup of milk
- ½ teaspoon mustard powder
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon each: salt/pepper
- ½ teaspoon hot sauce
- 1 ½ cups cheddar cheese, shredded
How to prepare Chili Mac:
- Cook and crumble the ground beef in a large pot over medium-high heat for 2 minutes. Add the onions and cook for 5 more minutes, or until the beef is brown and the onions are softened. Drain grease.
- Add the bell peppers and the garlic and cook until the peppers are softened about 4 minutes. Add the seasoning and tomato paste and stir to combine. Cook for 1 minute.
- Add the tomato sauce, undrained diced tomatoes, and chicken broth. Stir to combine. Bring to a boil, then reduce so that it’s bubbling gently. Cover partially and let it simmer while you prepare the macaroni and cheese. The longer it simmers, the thicker and more concentrated it will get. Add the drained kidney beans during the last 10 minutes or so.
- Add pasta noodles to the sauce and add butter.
- Melt the butter in The Pan over medium heat and wait for it to begin to foam slightly. Whisk in the flour and stir continuously for 2 minutes. Add the heavy cream in splashes, stirring continuously. Add the milk in the same manner.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Add the hot sauce and seasonings and stir to combine. Reduce heat to low.
- Gradually sprinkle in the shredded cheese, stirring continuously, until well-combined and smooth.
- Top with 1 ½ cups cheddar cheese and bake uncovered for 5 minutes, or until the cheese is melted. Garnish your Chili Mac with parsley if desired and serve!