Portobello Mushroom Burger Recipe
We're now in March which means we are celebrating nutrition month! In light of this, we have put together a delicious recipe for a meat-replacing dish that is not only healthy but vegetarian as well! Our dish features a Portobello mushroom burger with mozzarella and pesto, and we truly mean it when we say it almost tastes like having real meat in your burger. The only tools you'll need for the job are The Pan, measuring cups/spoons, and something to stir with that won't scratch the nonstick layer of the pan.
Servings: 2 Burgers (Double ingredients for 4, triple for 6, etc.)
What you’ll need to make Portobello Mushroom Burger
- 2 Portobello Mushrooms
- 2 Burger Buns
- 41⅔ g of mozzarella
- ⅓ clove of garlic
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons of white wine vinegar
- ⅔ tablespoons of honey
- ⅓ teaspoon of dried oregano
- 10g pine nuts
- 6⅔ g basil
- 40g of jarred sun-dried tomatoes
- ⅓ red bell pepper
- ⅔ red onions
- ⅓ avocado
- ⅔ tablespoon of sugar
- 26⅔ g of arugula, salt, and pepper
How to prepare Portobello Mushroom Burger
- Clean Portobello mushrooms, if needed. Remove the stems with a paring knife, and lay the mushrooms skin-side down in a baking dish. Peel and mince garlic, and add to a bowl with white wine vinegar, a portion of the olive oil, honey, oregano, salt, and pepper. Mix well to combine. Pour the mixture over the mushrooms and let it marinate for approximately 1 hour in the fridge.
In the meantime, toast pine nuts in The Pan and set them aside in a bowl. Pluck basil leaves from the stem and place them in a food processor. Add drained sun-dried tomatoes, toasted pine nuts, a portion of the olive oil, salt, and pepper. Blend to a paste, and then set the pesto aside.
- Slice mozzarella. Wash bell pepper and remove the end and the entire inner, then slice into rings. Peel and halve onions. Halve the avocado and remove the pit. Scoop out the flesh and slice. Heat the remaining olive oil in the same frying pan used to toast the pine nuts over medium-high heat and sauté onions for approximately 2 minutes. Sprinkle with sugar and let it caramelize for about 2 minutes more. Season with salt, and toss.
Heat The Pan over medium-high heat and toast burger buns. Remove from pan and set aside. Place mushrooms skin-side up in the pan and sear for approximately 2 minutes. Flip, and place mozzarella slices on top. Fry for about 2 minutes more.
- Spread pesto onto both sides of the burger buns. Top the bottom bun with arugula, Portobello mushrooms with mozzarella, bell pepper rings, avocado slices, and onion. Cover with the top bun.