Zucchini Fritters with Tomato Sauce
Summer brings an abundance of zucchini to gardens. This Zucchini Fritters with Tomato Sauce recipe is a wonderful way to use these vegetables. These fritters are wonderfully nutritious. The best part of them is, that you can serve them as a snack, an appetizer, or even a light lunch!
Servings: 12 fritters
Total Time: 20 minutes. 15 minutes to prepare, 5 minutes to cook.
What you’ll need to make Zucchini Fritters with Tomato Sauce:
- ¼ cup of extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 shallot, finely diced
- 1 tablespoon of garlic, minced
- 1 (28oz) can of crushed tomatoes
- 1-2 tablespoons of tomato paste
- 1-1 ½ teaspoons of smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons of granulated sugar
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Chili flakes, to taste
- 2 medium zucchinis, coarsely shredded
- 1 teaspoon of garlic, minced
- 1 medium shallot, minced
- 1 teaspoon of lemon zest
- ½ teaspoon of cumin
- ½ teaspoon of kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- ½ cup of unbleached all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon of baking powder
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
How to prepare the dish:
- In The Pan over medium-heat, add olive oil. When oil is shimmering, add shallot and sauté until tender for about 3 minutes.
- Add the garlic, and cook until fragrant for about 1 minute, be careful and ensure it does not burn.
Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, spices, and sugar; stir to combine and simmer for 15 minutes. Season with salt, pepper, and chili flakes to taste.
- Using a large bowl, combine the zucchini, garlic, shallots, lemon zest, cumin, salt and pepper. Add the beaten egg and stir to thoroughly combine. Using The Spoon or your own spatula, fold in the flour and baking powder, mixing just until incorporated.
- Set The Pan over medium-high heat; add the oil and heat until shimmering. Working in batches, add 1-2 tablespoons of the batter, spreading to form 3-inch fritters.
- Fry fritters until golden brown, about 3 minutes, turning halfway through. Use The Spoon to transfer the cooked fritters onto a wire rack to drain excess oil. Season fritters lightly with salt while hot.
- Transfer them to a large serving dish and serve it with tomato sauce.